25 Aug Terms of Reference Study of Youth Participation and Performance in the 2017 Kenya General Election
The Youth Agenda (YAA) is a premier youth organization that works towards a ‘just, inclusive and progressive society in which young people fully enjoy social, economic and political rights and opportunities’. This vision is grounded in the belief that it is possible to realize a globally competitive and prosperous nation with a high quality of life.
Over the years, Youth Agenda has commissioned studies on young people’s participation in political leadership with a specific focus on the performance and experience after general elections. This is line with one of our core mandates of generating and sharing youth focused research used for learning, planning and advocacy.
To enable us authoritative inform our stakeholder about young peoples engement in electoral processes, we seek to engage a lead consultant to assess and compile a report that details youth participation and performance in the 2017 General Elections
Scope of the assessment
- Conduct an analysis of pre election environment and ascertain the level of youth involvement with regards to and not limited to legislative agenda, advocacy for inclusion, voter registration, voter verification, voter & civic education, party processes, and the preference for independent candidacy.
- Conduct an assessment of youth performance as aspirants, candidates, elected leaders. The report should reveal number of youth aspirants in the party primaries, youth candidates to the ballot, youth independent candidates, party list nominated legislators and elected youth candidates all disaggregated by gender and regions.
- Establish youth voting trends during the 8th August 2017 Elections
- Profile expectations of the youth from their elected youth representatives as well as those elected by youth should also be captured by the report.
- In addition to the statistics, the report should also highlight the profiles of the youth legislators from parliament to county assembly as well as the elected presidential candidates’ agenda for the youth and political party commitments to youth agendas
Main tasks of consultancy
The consultant will work in conjunction with the Program Officer in charge of the Initiative and the Chief Executive Officer to finalise the design and inception plan for the study.
The consultant is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Develop an inception report, detailing the methodology, survey instruments, work plan schedule and budget to carry out the assignment;
- Develop a sampling design and data collection & management tool that is standardized;
- Co-ordinate collection of data, and its entry into a suitable platform for analysis;
- Analyse and interpret the findings;
- Develop and submit the draft assessment report including the detailed methodology, specific findings, providing key recommendations for implementation;
- Facilitate peer review and validation meetings to review the draft report with the relevant key stakeholders; and
- Incorporate the additional comments from the validation meeting and finalise the final assessment report.
The consultant shall be required to submit:
- Inception report detailing the evaluation design, methodology, tools, work plan and budget;
- Data collection tools;
- Draft and final study reports; and
- Copies of original and cleaned data.
Duration of the assignment
The estimated time period of execution is from 28 August to 28th September 2017.
The consultant shall possess the required experience that shall comprise, but is not limited to, the following skills and capabilities:
- Post-graduate qualifications in law, political science or any other social science field;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the governance sector and political processes in Kenya;
- Experience in conducting baseline studies/ surveys/ assessments with multiple components;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Kenyan electoral system;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of youth issues in Kenya;
- Excellent report writing and research skills; and
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in high-pressure situations under tight deadlines