19 May Advocacy On Strategic Engagement
Youth Committee on Elections, 2017 had a meeting with the IEBC Chair today Friday 19th May 2017 at IEBC offices. The meeting which was also attended by the IEBC Secretariat was convened to share a memorandum that captured key observations made by youth and recommendation that will enhance youth inclusiveness and ensure credible and peaceful elections.
Secured quick wins
- IEBC will explore mechanisms and engage youth in vetting candidates presented by Political Parties in the Party List to ensure the proposed youth have and will safeguard the agenda of the youth considering that these are affirmative action position.
- With regards to Election Political Party Regulations, the Committee was requested to write officially to IEBC with key recommendations that ensure that the regulations are very explicit on youth affirmative measures.
- IEBC will document and communicate employment opportunities created for youth in this electoral process.
- Strategic Engagement- IEBC will continue opening the doors for the youth and consult widely including the review of the Gender and Inclusion Policy .
- Hosting of the Presidential and Gubernatorial Questionnaires- IEBC has requested Youth Agenda to send the request for discussion during their Monday morning meeting